When it comes to orthodontics, most people usually think of treatment for pre-teens and teens. But did you know, it’s also a good idea to get your younger child in for an orthodontic evaluation? The American Association of Orthodontics recommends a check-up with an orthodontist no later than age 7. Not only will an early evaluation help determine the need for braces, but the orthodontist will be able to spot any other problems that may need treatment.
Here are some of the reasons why we recommend an orthodontic check-up for your child.
- Orthodontists can spot problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while baby teeth are still present.
- Even if your child’s teeth appear to be straight, there could be underlying complications that only an orthodontist can detect.
- The orthodontist may identify a developing problem and can monitor the child’s growth and development to begin treatment at the appropriate time for the child. Some cases may even benefit from early treatment.
- Early treatment may prevent more serious complications from developing later on, which could make treatment shorter and less complicated during the teenage years.
The benefits of early treatment include:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve appearance
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Improve the way lips meet
Give our office a call today at 702-477-0040 and schedule an appointment for your child’s orthodontic check-up. Through an early orthodontic evaluation, you’ll be giving your child the best opportunity for a healthy, beautiful smile.
Source: American Association of Orthodontists